The man, the golfer, the legend – Arnold Palmer was a huge inspiration to millions of people, and still is. We even enjoy a refreshing and delicious drink in his name. Here are a few lessons we can all learn from him to not only to improve our golf game, but also to live our lives to the fullest.
- “ A lot of people are afraid of winning. I was afraid I might not win.” – Palmer talked a lot about how fear can hold us back, and a fear of losing is big in sports. But using fear to your advantage is a good way to turn it around on its head. Fear the worst possible outcome, and expect the best one.
- “I have a tip that can take 5 strokes off anyone’s golf game. It’s called an eraser.” – Win or lose, a sense of humor is imperative in life. Of course, Palmer is joking when he references an eraser. Learning from mistakes is part of how you become the best! Just make sure you can laugh at yourself once in a while when the ball plops right into the lake.
- “Success in golf depends less on strength of body than upon strength of mind and character.” – A common denominator in all winners is that they don’t give up when both external and internal obstacles cross their path. Stay resolute and be patient with your progress, and concentrate on your head game.
- “The road to success is always under construction.” – There’s no such thing as a perfect person, and you’re no exception! You can always improve whatever it is you’re working towards, even after winning tournaments and starting a trophy collection.
- “Golf is a puzzle without an answer. I’ve played the game for 50 years and I still haven’t the slightest idea of how to play.” – No one has all the answers when it comes to golf, or anything for that matter. The most weathered expert can still learn certain aspects from beginners, and even the game itself will never be 100% foolproof, because humans created it!
- “I’ve always made total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.” – Persistence, tenacity, and the belief that you can reach your goal, are keys to getting where you want to go.
- “The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge.” – Know your strengths, and let them guide you in your goals. It’s also helpful to know your weaknesses so you can combat them effectively.